Friday, April 1, 2011

Childhood Favorites: Anne of Green Gables


Synopsis:
Anne is an imaginative, intelligent and daring, but what she is not is a boy, and it was a boy that Marilla and Mathew intended to adopt to help them around the farm.  Anne is what they got.  At first they didn't think they would keep the eleven year old girl, but soon they couldn't imagine life without her.  The first book follows Anne's childhood adventures in Avonlea, from accidentally dying her hair green to accidentally getting her best friend drunk.  As the series progresses you watch Anne grow and mature, go to college, get married, have children of her own, and the series finalizes with you watching her children grow up.


Plot:

Anne of Green Gables is one of the first series I really remember reading.  I'm sure I read The Boxcar Children first, but when I think of my first I think of the Anne series.  I would have to say that I fully credit this series with my love of books and readings.  I loved it so much that I had to have every book by Lucy Maud Montgomery (sans all the short story collections).  I enjoyed Anne's attitude and loved the mistakes that she made and the adventures that she went on.  As she grew up, she didn't get boring, her adventures just changed and I enjoyed them just as much.  While this is historical fiction, and therefore might not be for everyone, I would still encourage everyone to give it a chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment