Friday, March 18, 2011

Recent Reads/Personal Favorites: Harry Potter


***Since this is Harry Potter that I'm talking about, I'm not going to do a traditional review.  Instead, I'm just going to talk briefly about my experience rereading the series.***

I know that a lot of people chose to read or reread Harry Potter at the start of this year, though I didn't know it when I decided to reread the series.  I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but kept holding off, partly so that the story wouldn't be too fresh in my mind and partly because I wasn't looking forward to how whiny Harry was in the Order of the Phoenix, or how slow Deathly Hallows was to start.  After watching Deathly Hallows Part 1, though, I knew I had to reread the series before Part 2 came out.

It took me longer than i expected to get through the series (a little over 2 months).  Some of this is due to how busy I was, some of it, I'm sure, was due to savoring the story, and some of it, I'm equally sure, was due to my worries about how I'd like books 5 and 7 this time through.

What I found, surprised me.  In a lot of ways it was like reading the series for the 1st time, since enough time had passed that I was still surprised by some events.  Yeah, I knew the big events were coming, but I'd forgotten how, and some of the smaller things I'd forgotten completely.  Things like Umbridge's treatment of the students infuriated me as much this time, and I found I was still wishing that certain characters didn't die.  In other words, I was able to enjoy this series as much this time as I did the very first time I read it. 

In fact, what was most pleasing to me is that I enjoyed it more this time through.  While Harry was still whiny in Order of the Phoenix, it didn't bother me as much, probably because I knew he'd stop being whiny.  And even better, I didn't find Deathly Hallows boring in the least.  I don't know if this is because I was less anxious to know how it ended now, or what, but I was able to enjoy Harry's journey and actually understood the Hallows place in the story a bit better (last time they seemed a bit unnecessary).

Overall, I'm thrilled that i finally broke down and reread this series, it is so worth a reread or two, and I know I'll read it again someday because my only regret now is that its over; its kind of like walking away from an old friend you know you'll never hang out with and do knew things with again, but at least I know I can relive the old adventures anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment